Two months and counting...

 ....to the US/Canada release of The Lost King!

 (right) Sally Hawkins as Philippa Langley, and (left) Philippa Langley and Richard III 

The Stephen Frears directed film about the extraordinary story of finding Richard III’s bones under a car park in Leicester will be released in US on March 24th. What serendipity for me as I am now able to announce the publication of the Second Edition of This Son of York, under my own EasterSmithPress. The book is newly available at all the usual on-line book-buying platforms.

 I was lucky enough to get a sneak, pirated viewing of the film last week (I might get buried alive if I disclose the source!)and I was delighted to relive the whole exciting time for Ricardians in 2012. 

I loved that Richard appears in the film as protagonist Philippa Langley’s muse, allowing her to “think” things through with him as he quietly stands by encouraging her monologues with a small smile, a nod of the head, or a raised eyebrow. 


Sally Hawkins is wonderful as Philippa. You have to get past the fact that character Philippa has short black hair whereas the real Philippa has long blonde locks (see photo above), but you so buy into Sally’s ability to convey Philippa’s passion for her project that it’s just me (the fact-obsessed historical fiction writer) being picky!


As we lead up to the movie’s release, I would love for you to read This Son of York first so you will really understand why it is so important for history to take another look (in a very different entertainment media from Shakespeare’s day) at the much maligned Richard III. And this film will help—as will my book!


So in the next two months, I will be posting weekly fun facts about Richard, his family, the Wars of the Roses, publishing ups and downs for This Son of York, etc. etc. 


Watch this space!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Missing Princes Project: Update!

Ode to a grandson

Croissants, crepes, and cheese